Summary:
Mark's teacher, Mrs. Smith, decides to give a wooden tenis racket and now makes him start playing in his freetime. After a while though Mark feels that it his duty to help his mother support his family, so he goes and tell his mom that he wants to drop out of school for her. Although Mark's mom agasint that idea a lot and refuses Mark to go down that road to be a factory worker. So Mark decides to continue school and tennis and is eventually discovered by one of the top tennis players in Johannesbur. His name is Scaramouche and he decided to take Mark under his wing being his coach.
Quote:
"You are still young, yet already you know a different reality about white people." (Mathabane 255)
Reaction: This is what Wilfred says to Mark, because of Mark seeing the lives of both races of black and white. Mark notices how black people has to struggle through society without and money, yet they are always working. Unlike the white people who are given most things they want, with a mass amount of money. Mark also notices how the law is greatly strict towards black people but not white people. I feel that if I was put in a situation like this, then I would be unable to live in such unfair circumfances. Racism is something that I persoanl hate and if I was to live in a society that supports racism then I would caused a rebellion.
No comments:
Post a Comment